6 Ways Acupuncture Can Be Used on the Body
Acupuncture is the use of needles strategically placed along nerves in the body to affect the way the body functions. It has been used for thousands of years to treat a variety of different diseases, illnesses and injuries as well as promote a general sense of wellbeing. Ancient Chinese healers swore by the practice, often using acupuncture to effectively treat the patient when other forms of medicine couldn’t or wouldn’t work. The World Health Organization (WHO) has stated that acupuncture is a useful treatment of mental and physical problems from illnesses to overall mental wellbeing. Acupuncture can have a lasting effect on how the body functions and induce healing when it is needed.
- Pain Treatment – When an injury, illness or disease creates pain in the body it can be debilitating, leaving the affected person unable to function properly due to the pain. Acupuncture can use precise needle placement to effectively trick the body into not registering the pain. Acupuncture as a pain treatment is an excellent option for those who are allergic to pharmaceutical drugs, have a history of drug abuse or when traditional pain treatments are no longer effective.
- Immune Function – The use of alternative medicine has gained an increased following in recent years as more and more people look for non-invasive ways to treat their disease or illness. Acupuncture has been shown to help increase immune function in the body, helping to fight off diseases and illnesses such as AIDS, cancer, recurrent infections and more.
- Increased Fertility – Acupuncture can be an effective treatment for fertility for certain causes such as low semen quality or low function in the ovary/uterus. Acupuncture helps by increasing the blood flow and circulation in the body, thereby increasing the overall functions of the body and the fertility of it.
- Mental/Psychological Treatment – Ancient Chinese healers have been using acupuncture to treat mental and psychological issues such as depression, anxiety and insomnia for thousands of years. Using strategically placed needles, an acupuncturist can change the flow of the body and treat mental and psychological issues without pharmaceutical drugs.
- Neurological Disorders – For neurological disorders such as post-stroke recovery, Bell’s Palsy, Trigeminal Neuralgia and other movement disorders, acupuncture can help to increase function and healing in the affected areas of the body.
- Addiction Treatment – Addiction is never easy and oftentimes it can have a damaging effect on the mind and body that can last for years. With acupuncture, addictions such as drugs, alcohol, overeating and smoking can be treated by reducing cravings for the addiction of choice and allow the body to develop a sort of immunity to addiction.