Relieving Headaches with Acupuncture
There are lots of people who complain of headaches as they affect their day to day life. Chronic headaches can result in migraines, which should not be taken lightly. These headaches or migraines can be very painful and they affects your life but also the people around you. You should therefore be aware about the causes of migraines.
Causes of Migraine-: In connection with Chronic migraines? You need acupuncture here are some of the causes of migraines:
- Chemical abnormalities: In connection with Chronic migraines? You need acupuncture when you have migraine the nerve pathways and different types of brain chemicals get activated. Any sort of a defect in these pathways may cause a migraine.
- Vascular problem: Due to an irregularity in the blood vessel system of the brain, migraines might occur.
- Genetic: There are researchers who are of the belief that migraines can be genetic. For instance, if your father has migraine headaches, you will also suffer from the same.
What is it? Acupuncture in connection with Chronic migraines? You need acupuncture is the treatment process which involves the insertion of fine needles into specific points on the body. It is then followed by gentle manual and even electrical stimulation of the needles. In the tissues the blood flow increases when small vessels around the area of the needle dilate. There are many acupuncture centers that utilize a unique approach to the treatment of migraine attacks. By avoiding points in the neck, head and upper body, and instead making use of points exclusively in the lower body the experts at this center avoids dilating the blood vessels of the head. The patient will be in a recumbent position during the entire treatment instead of in a prone position. This also minimizes dilation of the blood vessels during acupuncture.
Emotional stress also brings about migraines. People who live in a fast-paced city have lopsided autonomic nervous systems. The sympathetic branch is activated and the parasympathetic branch is inhibited. This sort of an imbalance can be tied to other health conditions such as insomnia, heart disease, hypertension and premenstrual syndrome.
The technique of acupuncture helps to prevent migraines as it activates the parasympathetic nervous system and curtailing muscle tension. The points for acupuncture technique are mainly used on the forearms and lower legs.
Also recommended are some important lifestyle changes to reduce the incidence of headaches:
- Avoid alcohol (especially red wine)
- Avoid any triggers that cause your headaches
- Avoid caffeine
- Avoid physical or mental fatigue
- Avoid foods that trigger migraines: chocolate, dairy, wheat, spices and corn
- Sleep adequately (7-8 hours per day)